Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body with approximately 99% being deposited in bones and teeth. Throughout life, bones are constantly being reformed, making it necessary to maintain calcium levels. Holland & Barrett provides you with calcium in a variety of forms; browse this category to find the right calcium supplement for you.
Calcium is a trace mineral most famous for its association with strong teeth and bones. It is an essential component of these structures, which go through a continuous cycle of resorption and deposition of calcium into new bone. This process changes with age and in older adults (particularly post-menopausal women) the breakdown of bone exceeds the formation of new bone. For those looking to support their natural intake of the mineral, calcium supplements that contain Vitamin D, may be beneficial as Vitamin D also contributes to the healthy formation of bones. Calcium is also required for healthy muscle and nerve function, although less than 1% of the body's calcium is used for these processes - the other 99% is used for the bones. Holland & Barrett stocks a wide range of calcium supplements, including on its own and in formations with complimentary vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin D, magnesium and zinc.