Warm up this Bonfire Night with a hearty meat-free sausage and bean casserole. This version uses gluten-free, meat-free sausages, making it perfect for anyone who needs to avoid gluten.
The bean casserole can be cooked in advance and frozen until you need it – but omit the sausages from the recipe at this point. These are best grilled from fresh just before you’re ready to serve.
• 8 gluten-free, meat-free sausages
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 1 carrot, finely diced
• 1 celery, finely diced
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 150g meat-free bacon
• 3 x 400g tin of beans (for example kidney, butter, cannellini or black)
• 200g passata
• 400ml vegetable stock
• 200ml red wine
• 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 rosemary sprig, leaves chopped
• 1 thyme sprig, leaves separated
• 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1. In a large, ovenproof pan, heat the oil and fry the onion, carrot and celery on a medium heat until softened.
2. Stir in the garlic and meat-free bacon, and turn up the heat to colour the meat-free bacon slightly.
3. Drain the beans really well and add to the pan. Mix well to combine.
4. Pour in the red wine and allow to sizzle for 30 seconds before stirring in the passata, stock, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary and thyme. Season with black pepper.
5. Stir well and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan and give the beans a good stir with some salt. Then place the meat-free sausages around the beans, spaced apart.
7. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced. Place the pan in the oven for 5-10 more minutes to bake and colour the sausages.
8. Sprinkle over the parsley and serve immediately.
Shop our Food and Drink range.