Sales of dairy milk alternatives are booming, with one in five households now ditching traditional cows’ milk for a plant-based alternative such as almond milk.
Plant and nut milks are great for those who are lactose intolerant (they lack the enzyme needed to digest milk), for vegetarians and vegans, those who want to cut down on animal fats, or anyone looking for something different to drink.
These days you can take your pick from popular almond milk or soya milk, to the less well-known hazelnut and even quinoa milk.
Use dairy milk alternatives wherever you would usually have cows’ milk, or try our 3 tasty recipes below.
Millet and Pear Porridge
Good for: a dairy- and gluten-free breakfast
- Put the millet, water and soya milk in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15-20minutes.
- Stir in the apricots, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Serve topped with the sliced pear, maple syrup and an extra sprinkling of cinnamon.
Blueberry and Hazelnut Chia Pudding
Good for: dairy-free desserts
- Add the blueberries, chia seeds, dates, vanilla extract, cinnamon and two cups of hazelnut milk to a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
- Leave to stand and allow time to thicken.
- Add more hazelnut milk if needed, until desired consistency is reached.
- Spoon into bowls to serve, topped with the toasted hazelnuts and a drizzle of honey.
Recipe supplied by Provamel.
Dried Cherry Bircher Muesli
Good for: post-exercise recovery
- Mix the oats, half the grated apple, dried cherries and almond milk together, then refrigerate overnight.
- Next morning, mix in the other half of the apple, top with the nuts and honey, and enjoy after a workout; evidence shows sour cherries can help ease post-exercise muscle soreness.
We’ve got plenty more healthy recipes for you to try. What will you discover today?
This article has been adapted from longer features appearing in Healthy, the Holland & Barrett magazine. Advice is for information only and should not replace medical care. Please check with your GP before trying any remedies.
Shop our Food & Drink range.