Get breakfast right and you’ll set yourself up for a day of healthy eating. Avoid sugary cereals and opt for nutritious options that will fill you up without piling on the pounds.
Your Healthy Breakfast Checklist:
- 30g protein
- A small amount of healthy fats
- Complex carbohydrates
- Low sugar
- Vitamins and fibre from natural sources
Warming Oatbran Protein Bowl
Swap your usual cereal for a bowl of oats, or go one better and use oatbran to pack your diet with fibre, healthy carbs, and essential fats. The additional protein will keep you full for hours.
- 50g Oatbran or oats (not quick cook or flavoured options)
- Water, milk or dairy-free milk alternative
- 1 scoop (25g) protein powder
- 50ml egg whites
- 40g frozen or fresh berries
- Cook the oatbran in the microwave or on the hob with your water, milk, or milk alternative.
- Just before it is cooked, add your berries and stir. T
- hen add the egg whites and stir continually whilst cooking for 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the protein powder.
Healthy Cooked Breakfast
There’s nothing wrong with the basic components of a cooked breakfast. It’s the add-ons which are the calorie culprits!
- 2 slices meat-free bacon
- 1 vegetarian sausage
- 1 egg (poached)
- 1 slice of rye bread, or a small pitta bread opened up and “butterflied”
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 large field mushroom
- Cook everything on one pan for ultimate convenience: start with the vegetarian sausage, then the meat-free bacon, then the tomato and mushroom.
- Toast the rye bread or pitta and poach the egg whilst everything else is cooking.
Lighter Eggs On Toast
Eggs are an excellent choice for breakfast, giving you a complete source of protein and some healthy fats to keep you full. Choose your toast wisely and you’ll have a brilliantly healthy breakfast.
- 2-3 eggs (poached, hard boiled, as an omelette, or scrambled)
- 1-2 slices of sourdough bread, rye bread, or a pitta bread opened up into two halves.
- 5-10g real butter
Avocado is a great choice (especially for vegans), giving you healthy fats, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Chilli flakes
- Mash 1/2 an avocado with black pepper, lemon juice, and a small amount of chilli flakes.
- Spread onto 1-2 slices of rye bread
- Serve alongside 2 rashers meat-free bacon
- Use as a filling for a small lower-calorie wrap
Shop Food & Drink