Warm up on Bonfire Night with a delicious, creamy macaroni cheese. And it’s gluten-free as it’s made using rice quinoa pasta and gluten-free flour.
This dish is a good one to make ahead of time – simply bake according to the recipe, and then freeze once cooled.
• 500g rice quinoa pasta
• 1 onion, finely diced
• 50g butter
• 6 tbsp gluten-free flour
• 500ml semi-skimmed milk
• 200g mature Cheddar, grated
• 1 tsp English mustard
• 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
• 1 tbsp chives, chopped
• 1 tsp tarragon, chopped
• 1 tsp parsley, chopped
• 1/2 lemon, juiced
• 100g Parmesan, grated (or vegetarian alternative)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan and bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
2. In a frying pan, melt the butter and fry the onion until softened.
3. Once the salted water is boiling, put in the pasta and cook according to the packet instructions.
4. Save 200ml of the pasta cooking water once cooked. Drain the rest.
5. Add the flour to the pan with the onion and mix well.
6. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes to remove the ‘raw’ flour flavour.
7. Take the pan off the heat and very gradually whisk through the milk to make a smooth sauce.
8. Mix through the cheese, mustard, nutmeg and seasoning and then add in the herbs, lemon and reserved pasta water. Make sure the mix is well combined.
9. Stir through the pasta.
10. Transfer the mixture into one large or four small baking dishes. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
11. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately with a green salad.
You may also like: Bonfire Night bean and sausage casserole; Bonfire Night roasted squash quinoa and kale Asian salad; Bonfire Night gluten-free maple cheesecake; Ginger loaf cake with coconut caramel
Shop our Food & Drink range.