Planning a Halloween party for your kids? These mini gluten-free mummy pizzas will wow the crowd – they’re tasty, gluten-free and just a little bit spooky too…
Makes: 16 mini pizzas
• 125ml milk
• 3g fast-action yeast
• 1 tsp caster sugar
• 200g gluten-free bread flour
• ½ tsp xanthan gum
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 130g passata
• 4 slices of mature cheese
• 32 sliced green or black olives
1. To make the dough, heat the milk in a small saucepan until warm.
2. Turn off the heat and sprinkle in the caster sugar and yeast. Set aside until required.
3. In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free bread flour, xanthan gum, salt and bicarbonate of soda.
4. Mix well and then add in the egg.
5. Work this into the dry mixture a little, and then gradually pour in the yeasty milk mixture. Mix the dough until well combined.
6. Shape into a ball and place in a clean bowl, cover with cling film and leave for 1.5 hours to rise. Once the dough is ready, it should be puffed up and soft to touch.
7. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
8. Using a rolling pin, on a floured work surface, roll the dough to about the thickness of a £1 coin.
9. Use an 8cm round cookie cutter to stamp out 16 mini pizza bases and then transfer these to two baking trays.
10. Place 1 teaspoon of passata into the centre of each pizza base and smooth around, leaving a little space around the edge. Once they are all coated, bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
11. While the bases are cooking, prepare the cheese ‘bandages’: trim the cheese slices until they are approximately 8cm in length, and then cut into matchstick-width strips. They need to be thin as they spread when melted.
12. Once the bases are cooked, carefully lay 2 olive slices on each to look like eyes and then lay 4-5 strips of cheese over the base at jaunty angles to look like bandages.
13. Return to the oven for 30 seconds only, just to melt the cheese. Transfer onto a platter and serve immediately.
You may also like: Sugar-free salted caramel apples; Spider cookies; Coconut flour Halloween crackers ; Coconut for lunch
Shop our Food & Drink range.