We all love food that warms us up during winter, but it’s so much better when that meal is good for you too. Niki Webster from Rebel Recipes has created a warming winter salad to help support our #WinterWise campaign.
This roast sweet potato salad is packed full of goodness and has a flavourful tahini dressing. Top this off with some caramelised walnuts and we can guarantee you’ll be going back for seconds.
Nutrients per serving:
For the salad:
- 2 sweet potatoes chopped
- 1 can chickpeas – drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Big pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Handful cherry tomatoes halved
- Pea shoots
- 2 tbsp Pomegranates seeds
- 2 tbsp Flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds
For the walnuts:
For the dressing:
To roast the sweet potatoes & chickpeas;
- Pre heat your oven to gas mark 5, which is 190c.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle the spices and salt.
- Toss the potatoes in the tray to evenly coat with the seasoning.
- Roast for approximately 40 minutes until crispy on the outside. Half way through add in the chickpeas and stir everything together.
To make the caramelised walnuts;
- Caramelise the walnuts by adding the oil and maple syrup to a small pan and heating on a low heat until everything combines.
- Add in the nuts and toss thoroughly so that they are well coated.
- Cook for a few minutes until caramelised and nice and toasted, then remove from the pan and allow to cool.
To make make the tahini dressing;
- Add all the ingredients to a mini chopper or pestle and mortar and blitz until you get a paste.
- Add more water to get the deserved consistency.
To make the salad;
- Layer the leaves, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, caramelised walnuts.
- Drizzle with the tahini dressing and sprinkle with Flax, sunflower, pumpkin and pomegranate seeds.
You can’t tell us that doesn’t sound delicious. This hearty salad makes the perfect lunchtime companion. Just be cautious of taking it into the office, because we know everyone will be envious of your food.
If you like the look of this lunch, we know you’ll want to create Niki’s stir fry too.
Niki Webster is an award-winning plant-based blogger and holistic health coach. Niki creates recipes that are gluten free, refined sugar free and plant based. She finds that a light, natural diet makes her feel her best, and after trying her recipes yourself, we’re sure you’ll agree. Discover more from Niki on her blog.