Here, we explore the health benefits of pineapples, as well as list some healthy ways to prepare them. But first, let’s take a look at their nutritional profile.
Pineapple nutritional profilePineapples are loaded with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Here are just a few:
- Vitamin C: helps with iron absorption and supports immunity. It’s also been linked to maintenance of blood pressure1
- Manganese: plays a role in blood sugar regulation and helps contribute to bone health and formation of connective tissue in the body2
- Vitamin B6: linked to brain health, normal blood cell formation and can help combat tiredness and fatigue3
- Fibre: helps to normalise bowel movements and maintain good digestive health
The benefits of eating pineapples
They’re loaded with antioxidantsAntioxidants are molecules that help your body combat oxidative stress, a state in which there are too many harmful free radicals in the body.4 Pineapples contain super-healthy antioxidants like flavonoids and phenolic acids.5
They can help ease digestionPineapples are rich in a group of digestive enzymes known as bromelain.6 These enzymes break down protein molecules7, so they can be easily absorbed into the small intestine. This can be especially helpful for people with a condition called pancreatic insuffiency, where the pancreas is unable to make enough digestive enzymes for the digestive system to function properly.8,9
They may support immunityA nine-week study found that children who regularly ate pineapples had almost four times more white blood cells than those who did not eat pineapple.10 Pineapple is also rich in the enzyme bromelain, which can help support the body’s immune response.11,12,13
Three ways to eat pineappleHere are some of our favourite, simple ways to eat pineapple:14
- Grilled: yes, pineapples can be grilled. Simply cut them into small cubes and place them until the grill until warm and tender
- Honey roasted: this mouth-watering way to cook pineapples is sure to please guests. Slice your pineapple into small cubes, coat with honey, and roast until tender
- Tropical fruit salad: pineapples paired with other tropical fruits is the recipe for a mouth-watering salad. Sprinkle over some pomegranate seeds for extra zing!
Last updated: 10 June 2020