If you’re looking for a unique gift for someone or simply want to remind people what Christmas is all about, why not have a go at making your own nativity scene from gingerbread?
Ideally, you’ll need a set of nativity cookies cutters but they can be hard to get hold of so you might need to think outside of the box. A gingerbread man cutter will work for Mary, Joseph, the shepherds, wise men and the angels. You can make their clothes from sugar paste icing and attach it to each figure by adding a few drops of cooled boiled water.
If you have a set of animal cutters then making the donkey, cows, sheep and other stable animals shouldn’t be too difficult. You’ll need a star cutter but to make baby Jesus in the manger you’ll need to cut it free hand, perhaps using a template you’ve either drawn or printed off.
You could build the stable from a few sheets of gingerbread, sealed with icing, or you might decide to not have a stable and just concentrate on making your figures the best they can be.
Nativity scene biscuits
- 1 large egg
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60ml cooled boiled water
You will also need white royal icing and sugar paste icing in various colours to decorate.
- Sift the flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda. Combine with the butter using a food processor or electric whisk.
- Beat the golden syrup and egg together before adding to the food processor and mixing everything together until a dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for a couple of minutes then chill in fridge for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180˚C and line two baking trays.
- Roll out dough and cut into your desired shapes using cutters or a knife. Place on the trays and bake for 15 mins. Once cooked, leave them to cool.
- Create clothing/accessories from sugar paste icing and stick to gingerbread shapes using a few drops of water. Add features using royal icing in a piping bag.
Shop our Christmas Baking range