If you’re wondering what desserts to serve up on Christmas day, why not consider a chocolate log? It’s ideal for people who don’t like currants and will be steering clear of Christmas cake and Christmas pudding. Alternatively, you could make your very own chocolate reindeer cake
- 85g plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 50g butter
- 284ml pot double cream
- 85g golden caster sugar
- 200g icing sugar sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 140g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat your oven to 200˚C and line a Swiss roll tin.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl for 10 mins using an electric whisk. Add the flour, baking powder and cocoa.
- Pour into the Swiss roll tin and bake for ten minutes.
- Carefully lift out the sponge and place on a sheet of baking parchment before rolling it into the traditional swiss roll shape, leaving the parchment inside. Leave to cool.
- Use an electric whisk to mix the double cream (minus 6 tbsp) and then unroll the sponge, removing the parchment. Spread the cream all over using a palette knife before rolling it back up again.
- Melt the chocolate and butter on the hob before adding the golden syrup and the remaining 6 tbsp of double cream. Add the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pour over the sponge and use a fork to create bark lines. Place on a cake board and sprinkle over some icing sugar to make snow. Add some robin decorations or a twig of holly to finish.
Shop our Christmas Baking range