Radical rethinkThe crisis that’s emerging and stats like those produced by Mintel, as well as the World Wildlife Fund’s prediction that two-thirds of the world’s population may face shortages by 2025, has prompted many skincare and beauty brands to radically rethink their use of water.2 Some companies have already responded to the situation by reducing their water usage there and then or pledging to cut it by a certain level within certain deadlines. For instance, Unilever has reduced its water levels during the manufacturing process by more than 40%, and L’Oréal is aiming to achieve a 60% reduction in water consumption for each finished product by this year.3
Brand-wide waterless pledge
Many more brands are making massive strides in this area too. Some, like Unilever and L’Oréal mentioned above have adapted their processes, while others have been specifically set up to produce nothing but water-free products. (Keep reading for details of who these brands are and the type of products they’ve brought to market).
Waterless cleansers, moisturisers, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and even, deodorants, are steadily emerging in stores and online and in our beauty cabinets and on our shelves that contain botanical ingredients and oils instead of water.
The many benefits of waterless beauty
The benefits of the new waterless beauty trend are widespread, not just because of their positive impact on the environment, but because of their kinder-to-skin properties.You see, when it’s applied topically, water can actually dry our skin out. Prolonged exposure to water or exposure to water that’s too hot, can strip our skin of the delicate protective lipids (AKA the natural oils) that line the surface of our skin and protect it against water loss.4
However, products like the ones we’re going to showcase to you now are single-handedly revolutionising the skincare and beauty produce scene and, with some of them, because there’s less product (i.e. they haven’t been bulked out with water and preservatives) there’s less packaging too, which is a double bonus!So, now we’ve given you a quick, and necessary, intro to the origin of waterless beauty products and the main benefits, let’s have look at some of them in more detail. More specifically, these water-free wonders are all within our Clean & Conscious Beauty range, which also features vegan products and sustainable packaging and is focused on zero waste.
Our top waterless beauty picks:
Brand: Earth Kind
- Tea Tree & Eucalyptus Shampoo Bar for Improved Scalp Health - made in the UK with natural tea tree and eucalyptus, the gentle formula can be used daily and won’t strip the hair of its natural oils
- Bergamot & Sage Shampoo Bar for Dry & Coloured Hair - is idea for hair that’s naturally dry due to a lack of natural oil from the skin or the use of hair driers and straighteners.
- Bliss Bar Face Cleansing Bar - made with creamed coconut butter, vegetable glycerine and clay, the bar is designed to gently cleanse without stripping even the most sensitive skin.
- Gingersnap Face Scrub - Gingersnap comes in four ovals, which are perfect for exfoliating the face. Keeping them dry between uses will help them last longer.
Brand: Faith in Nature
- Unfragranced Seaweed Soap - made with wild harvested seaweed that’s known for its antioxidant qualities and is rich in beneficial minerals and proteins.
- Rosemary Soap - this soap is infused with traditional herbal aromas and the uplifting scent of organic rosemary, which is known for its cleansing qualities.
Brand: True Skincare
- Organic Gentle Superfood Exfoliator - a gentle, nourishing powder exfoliator formulated to remove dead skin cells without scratching the surface of the skin.
- Organic Rehydrating Rosehip & Rosemary Facial Oil - containing 100% organic and natural ingredients, this oil rejuvenates and hydrates the skin to help achieve an even, radiant complexion.
- Cool Rose Body Balm - an intense, super-hydrating body moisturiser with natural light mango butter, organic jojoba and coconut oils to deliver soothing and balancing nourishment every day.
- Cedar Fresh Hand Balm - an intense, super-hydrating hand moisturiser with natural light mango butter softening organic illipe butter and healing calendula oil.
Last updated: 15 June 2020