Everybody’s hair is different and so too are everybody’s hair stories. For instance, you may have had smoother and bouncier hair when you were younger and found that it’s got drier as you’ve got older. Or you may once have had frizz-prone hair that’s got better as the years have gone by.
What causes dry hair?
Dry hair is usually caused by our scalp not containing enough moisture, either because it’s not producing enough natural oils or the moisture’s escaping from our hair.Hair doesn’t produce any natural moisturiser, so it’s down to your scalp to produce the moisture that’s needed to prevent your hair from drying out.1 There are some other everyday culprits that can turn your hair into a dry zone too. They include:2
- Washing your hair too often – ideally no more than twice a week3
- Using products that strip your hair of its natural oils
- Drying your hair with a hairdryer all of the time
- Regularly using hair straighteners or curling tongs
- Exposing your hair to lots of sun, wind and dry air
- Using chemical treatments, such as dyes, perms and relaxers
- Skipping heat protection products – which can prevent damage caused by hot styling tools4
Ways to beat dry hair
If your hair’s drier than you’d like it to be, then you ideally need to give it a little TLC. And the good news is, there are lots of great products, particularly shampoos for dry hair and conditioner for dry hair, that can help breathe moisture into your locks.
Laying off some of the bad hair habits above can also play a significant role in reviving your hair too. Ideally, you want to try and avoid these habits and change your hair products to ones that specifically cater for your hair condition.Oils can also work wonders for hair too, particularly avocado, argan and olive oil.6 Coconut oil is widely renowned for being a powerhouse of a hair moisturising product. In fact, it actually happens to be recommended for dry and damaged hair because, unlike other oils, it penetrates deeper.7
The best shampoo and conditioner for dry hair
Fortunately, help is at hand when it comes to battling dry hair, in the form of products that have been specially formulated to beat the frizz. Let’s take a look at some of them…
1. Natura Siberica Hair Conditioner - Nutrition and Hydration for dry hairThis haircare range, which also features a shampoo too, is packed full of concentrated vitamins and micro-elements derived from wild Siberian plants, to provide hair with intense, professional care.
2. Ethique Mintasy Shampoo Bar
PH balanced and safe for colour-treated hair, this shampoo bar can be used on normal to dry and slightly damaged hair. Coconut oil and cocoa butter has been paired with peppermint to cleanse and smooth.
3. Dead Sea Spa Magik Hair Magic Serum
This serum is an intensive conditioning treatment suitable that’s especially beneficial for hair that is dry and damaged and ideal for those who straighten their hair.
4. Dr Organic Cocoa Butter Conditioner
This richly replenishing conditioner contains organic fruit extracts and provides ultra-softening protection. It has been specifically formulated to intensely moisturise and nourish the hair.
5. Naturtint Colour Fixing Shampoo
This shampoo has been formulated with natural and organic plant and seed oils and extracts to strengthen and rejuvenate hair, leaving it moisturised, repaired and nourished.
6. Earth Kind Bergamot & Sage Shampoo Bar for Dry & Coloured Hair
Containing a natural conditioning agent made from sugar, this shampoo bar is ideal for hair that is naturally dry due to a lack of natural oil from the skin or the use of hair driers and straighteners.
7. Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender Conditioner
Packed with a medley of lavender essential oil, quinoa protein, aloe and Vitamin E, this conditioner has been formulated with deeply nourishing babassu oil to restore natural hair elasticity.Looking forward to saying ‘bye’ to dry and ‘hi’ to hydrated? We sure are! For more of the best shampoos for dry hair and conditioner for dry hair, take a look at our range of dry hair products. In the meantime, if you quite like the idea of nourishing your hair with some coconut oil goodness, then take a look at this article for some tips on how to do it, ‘Is coconut oil good for hair?’ You may want to give these natural dry hair recipes a whirl too.
Last updated: 9 July 2020