If you’re looking for a meat-free recipe for Bonfire Night, this warm roasted squash, quinoa and kale Asian salad – with its bold flavours of ginger, radish and lime – is more than a match for the fireworks.
To save time on the night, you can chop the veg and prepare the ingredients for the dressing in advance.
Serves: 8 to 10
• 1 small butternut squash, cubed (approximately 200g per person)
• 200g mixed quinoa
• 1.5l water
• 200g green kale, shredded
• 6 radishes, sliced
• 100g edamame beans, podded
• 20g black and white sesame seeds
• 2 spring onions, sliced
• 1 tbsp ginger, grated
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 25ml light soy sauce
• 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 1 lime, juiced
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan.
2. Toss the butternut squash cubes in a little olive oil and seasoning, and bake for 40 minutes until softened.
3. Bring the 1.5l water to a boil in a pan with a pinch of salt.
4. Rinse the quinoa and boil in the water for 20 minutes or until cooked.
5. While the quinoa is boiling, prepare the dressing: combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
6. To make the salad, place the kale in a large bowl, and when the quinoa is cooked, drain and tip it on top of the kale while still very hot. This will soften the kale enough while keeping some crunch.
7. Stir in the butternut squash, radish slices, edamame beans, spring onions and sesame seeds. Mix well.
8. Drizzle over the dressing while it is all still hot, and then transfer onto plates or a platter. Serve immediately.
Shop our Food and Drink range.