Whether you’re gluten intolerant, or just looking to make changes to your morning routine, having a selection of gluten-free breakfast ideas is great to have on hand. You can make small substitutes or remove gluten entirely – and still have a delicious, nutritious breakfast each morning.
If you’re looking to know more about gluten-free foods, check out our article here.
Here is a selection of some of our current favourite gluten-free breakfast recipes:
Easy Gluten-Free Pancakes1
What better way to start the day than with a delicious plate of pancakes? This recipe follows a classic, except replaces flour with a gluten-free alternative. Pancakes are incredibly versatile and can be topped off with some of your favourite fruits, nuts or seeds.
- 125g gluten-free flour
- 1 egg (egg alternatives can be used, but textures might differ)
- 250ml of milk (or milk alternative such as almond milk)
- Coconut oil
- Fruit of your choice
- Add your flour to a bowl, and crack your egg into the centre. Pour in a quarter of your milk and start to mix together gradually. Once it’s started forming into a paste, gradually add in the rest of your milk until it’s all incorporated. Set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Heat a small frying pan on medium heat with a small amount of coconut oil to grease the pan.
- Add a small amount of your pancake mixture to the pan, and swirl around to coat the bottom. Cook until the bottom starts to turn golden brown. Flip the pancake, and continue cooking on the other side until done.
- Remove from the pan and continue with the rest of the mixture.
- Garnish with your favourite fruit and serve.
Gluten-Free Vegan Banana Bread2
Banana Bread is a classic! It’s one of those recipes that doesn’t only make a great breakfast, but also a perfect mid-morning snack. You can either prepare this in the morning or the night before, which makes it a great recipe to have on hand.
Top tip: Try toasting your Banana Bread to kick it up a notch – thank us later!
- 1 flax egg (7g ground flaxseed and 37ml water mixed)
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup of almond flour
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 1 1/3 cup gluten-free oats
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 175°C. Lightly grease a loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper.
- Mix together the ingredients of your flax egg in a large bowl, and let it rest for 5 minutes. Once settled, add your bananas and mash well until it’s smooth and combined.
- Add the almond butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond milk and salt. Mix to combine and then add the almond flour, gluten-free flour and oats. Stir well to incorporate, and then add in the walnuts.
- Pour into your loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown. You’ll know the loaf is done when it feels firm and a toothpick comes out clean. If required, leave in for an additional 15 minutes.
- Let it cool completely and serve.
Veggie Breakfast Bites3
If you’re looking for more of a savoury gluten free breakfast, then these veggie breakfast bites are perfect. Feel free to switch up the vegetables for your favourite and make this recipe your own.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 8 tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 garlic clove (diced finely)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 200g spinach
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Put the mushrooms and tomatoes into 4 oven safe ramakins. Divide the garlic evenly between the ramakins and drizzle with some olive oil. Add salt and pepper, then bake for 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are in the oven, add your spinach to a colander and cover in boiling water so it wilts. When cool enough to touch, squeeze out any excess water.
- Take the vegetables out of the oven, and add the spinach. Crack an egg into each ramakin so it sits on top of the veggies.
- Return to the oven and cook until the egg is set.
Shop Free From Food