Whether you’re a serial snacker, a healthy snacker or someone who just enjoys an indulgent treat every now and then…we have some good news!
Snacking can be a lifesaver. It can get you through tough mornings in the office when a cup of coffee just won’t suffice, satisfy your dinner party guests while the food is cooking, or help end even the most severe toddler tantrums.
Always go for quality when it comes to satisfying your munchies. Whether that means making natural ingredients top priority, opting for low-sugar, healthy snacks, or making sure they meet your specific dietary needs.
Is snacking good for you?
There’s conflicting evidence as to whether snacking is good for you. On the one hand, healthy, low-calorie and protein-rich snacks may satisfy hunger between meals and prevent us from over-eating, and they could even help us reach our macronutrient goals.
But, on the other hand, they could just be adding extra calories into our diet that we don’t necessarily need. It’s up to you to decide on whether snacking is for you or not, depending on your lifestyle.
Which snacks are healthy?
Snacks can be healthy. Enjoy some of the sweeter treats in life, minus the guilt, with Holland & Barrett’s healthier snack options.
Snacks that are good for you
Vegetables make a perfect low-calorie and nutrient dense snack, try cutting up carrot sticks, cucumbers and bell peppers to dip into hummus or nut butters. Fresh fruit like berries, pears, apples, melons and grapefruits are good for you too.
Other healthy snacks include:
- Dry roasted chickpeas: high in fibre and protein, these crunchy low-calorie chickpeas are the perfect plant-based snack to keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- Konjac flour pasta/noodles/rice: when our favourite starchy foods are made with konjac flour (glucomannan) their calorie count decreases dramatically. This is because konjac is an incredibly water-soluble fibre that forms a gel in your stomach and makes you feel satisfied for longer.
- Raw fruit and nut bars: instead of the carbs and refined sugar found in a lot of cereal bars, raw bars use dates, nuts and other natural flavourings to make a tasty snack full of plant-based energy.
- Alternative crisps: swap fried potato crisps for baked veggies, chickpea flour, lentils and quinoa for your next crunchy snack
- Rice crackers and cakes: these treats make a low-calorie base perfect for topping with nut butters, dark chocolate, avocado, hummus, and lots more. Or, enjoy the pre-flavoured varieties like chilli, paprika, and salt and vinegar. They’re usually gluten-free too!
Snacks that are high in protein
Protein helps you stay full. Some of the best protein snacks are:
- Nuts: a nice and simple snack, every nut contains a good amount of protein along with tons of nutrients and fibre. Choose peanuts and almonds for the punchiest protein hit
- Low carb / high protein bars: all the protein, with less of the carbs, these protein bars are excellent for refuelling after a gym session
- Natural protein balls: nutritious natural ingredients like coconut and macadamia nuts get mixed with protein powder to create perfect little snacks good enough to fill any hunger gap
Just because you don’t want to consume animal products shouldn’t mean you miss out on life’s great snacking opportunities. Whether it’s for health reasons, the environment, animal welfare, or all three, you can still enjoy snacks like:
- Vegan chocolate
- Vegan marshmallows
- Vegetable crisps
- Veggie jerky
- Vegan ‘Cheese’ and onion crisps
- Vegan liquorice
- Vegan gummy bears
It can seem like the world is gluten-mad, with wheat flour here, there, and everywhere. But don’t despair! There are gluten-free snacks ready and waiting for you to enjoy, like:
- Chickpea puffs
- Fruit and nut bars
- Almond cookies
- Vegetable instant noodles
- Coconut Macaroons
- Milk chocolate digestives
Low sugar snacks
From sugar-free chocolate chip cookies to retro lemon and cream boiled sweets, there’s a no added sugar treat waiting out there for you. They are equally perfect for those who can’t have sugar or who simply want to cut down.
- of 1067 products