“Anything chocolate orange-focused is always such a winner; it’s a classic combination of flavours that everyone seems to love; this creamy tart is no exception. The almond and orange base has subtle hints of cacao, coconut and maple, which perfectly complement the sweet, creamy middle. The tart is then finished off with a beautiful scattering of orange zest and salt, which heighten the flavours and make it look perfect.” Deliciously Ella
This delicious dessert is a firm favourite with Ella’s family and friends.
Nutrients per serving:
For the base:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, plus more for the tin
- 150g almonds
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 150g medjool dates, pitted
- Finely grated zest of 1 unwaxed orange, plus juice of ½ orange
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
For the middle layer:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp date syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 unwaxed oranges
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp peanut or almond butter
For the decoration:
- Finely grated zest of ½ unwaxed orange
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
1. Oil a 20cm springform cake tin with coconut oil, or line it with baking parchment.
2. Blitz the almonds in a food processor until they form a chunky flour.
3. Add all the other ingredients, including the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and blend until a sticky mix forms.
4. Use a spatula to firmly press the mix down into the prepared tin.
5. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to allow the base to set.
6. Pit and peel the avocados, then place them with all the other ingredients into a food processor.
7. Blend until a smooth, creamy, mousse-like mixture forms.
8. Pour it over the base, then return to the freezer for 1 hour to set.
9. Take it out about 15 minutes before serving.
10. Grate the orange zest over the top and sprinkle with a few sea salt flakes.
11. Store any leftovers in the freezer.
Recipe adapted from Deliciously Ella with Friends, by kind permission of Ella Mills. Discover more delicious meals and snacks in Ella’s new book Deliciously Ella with Friends, available on Amazon.
Handpicked content: Fall in love with these 3 exclusive recipes from Deliciously Ella
Start your day right with a Breakfast Smoothie bursting with fresh fruit, oats and almonds.
Fill up at lunchtime with a Quinoa Roasted Vegetable Salad that tastes as good as it looks.
These Almond and Apricot Bars, packed with fruit, nuts and seeds, make the perfect snack.