Tacos are a big hit with many veggies and these – with a mix of beans – have just the right amount of spice.
Suitable for Vegetarian and vegan
Prep time 50 minutes
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 small garlic cloves, halved in their skins
- 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped about 1.5cm square
- 1 tsp coriander seeds * lightly crushed
- 1 tsp chipotle crushed chilli
- ½ tsp cumin seeds * lightly crushed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, skin left on, diced (about 400g)
- ½ tsp dried oregano *
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin black eye beans, drained
- 400g tin black beans, drained
- Large handful chopped coriander
* Available at Holland & Barrett
- 12 taco shells
- 2 avocados
- A little thinly-sliced raw red onion
- Squeeze of lime juice
- 150g grated ½ fat cheddar cheese / vegan cheese
- Little Gem lettuce leaves
Heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6. Put the prepared onion, garlic, peppers and spices in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir to coat then tip into a parchment lined roasting tray and cook for 15–20 minutes until softened and starting to char round the edges. Squeeze the garlic from their skins.
Heat a large casserole pan, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and fry the sweet potato cubes for a few minutes. Stir in the oregano, tomatoes, beans and roasted veg. Season, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, adding a splash of water if it looks a little dry. This can be made the day before or a few hours ahead – the flavour will improve.
When ready to serve, reheat the chilli if necessary. Heat the tacos according to pack instructions. Stone and slice the avocado and toss with the raw onion, lime juice and some seasoning. Stir the coriander through the chilli, then pile into the tacos, add some grated cheese (or vegan cheese) and serve with the avocado and Little Gem.
Shop our Food & Drinks