Traditionally made with rabbit and seafood, this veggie version uses some more unusual vegetables to keep things special.
Gluten-free | Egg free | Dairy-free | Vegetarian
Nutrients per serving:
- 280g jar artichoke hearts in oil, drained, plus 2 tbsp of the oil (160g artichokes)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- ½ sachet saffron
- Generous pinch of paprika *
- 300g paella rice
- 200g frozen baby broad beans
- 600ml hot gluten-free vegetable stock * made with 1 cube
- 125g roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and chopped
- Small pack of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedges, to serve
* Available at Holland & Barrett
Heat the artichoke oil in a wide, shallow casserole pot or paella pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes to soften but not colour. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the saffron, paprika and rice.
Boil the kettle and put the broad beans in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water just to blanch, then drain and stir into the rice. Add the stock. Cook at a gentle simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes until the rice is nearly tender.
Add the peppers, artichokes and parsley and carefully tumble through the rice. The rice will have crusted up a little on the base of the pan. Gently release it without disturbing the grains too much. Cook for another 5 minutes, and then serve the paella with the lemon wedges.
If you have time, you can pop the blanched broad beans out of their skins to reveal a brighter green, more tender bean within. Stir through with the artichokes and peppers.
Shop our Food and Drink