When you think of complementary and alternative medicine, most people automatically think about the likes of acupuncture, aromatherapy and homeopathy, but crystals (crystal healing) also happen to fall within this bracket too you know.
Beautiful to look at, healing crystals are available in various shapes, sizes, finishes and, of course, gemstones, and are used by people to help with a myriad of things.
Over the years, crystal healing has grown in popularity, and currently has somewhat of a celeb following.
The likes of Victoria Beckham, Adele and Naomi Campbell all reportedly turn to crystals to help them with different aspects of their life.
If you’re new to the world of healing crystals and would like to know more about it or you know a bit about it and are keen to find out more, keep reading.
This article provides you with a practical introduction to crystal healing stones.
What is crystal healing?
Crystal healing involves using healing stones, AKA various different crystals, to help with spiritual, mental and physical healing and support.
The benefits of crystal healing are believed to be unlocked by holding, wearing or carrying them around with you.
You can also have crystals dotted around your home and within your workspace too.
They are said to work by absorbing and channelling the energy that’s present within your body (your aura) and interacting with your energy field (your chakra).1 2
Used in a number of different areas, such as mental wellbeing, different types of crystal healing stones each come with their own special energies and are used in accordance with what you would like them to help you with.
Their shape, size, and even their colour is believed to influence the impact they can have.3
Over the years, some research has been carried out on the effects of healing crystals, with very few studies evidencing their healing abilities.
However, one study that was carried out into the effectiveness of crystal healing in 2001 reported that crystals may ‘work’ just as effectively as the placebo effect.
A total 80 people were asked everyone to meditate for 5 minutes while holding either a real quartz crystal or a counterfeit crystal.
The researchers concluded that the overall effects that were reported were a result of the power of suggestion, not the power of the crystals.4
- Crystal healing involves using crystal stones to provide spiritual, mental and physical healing and support
- Healing stones are unlocked by keeping them with or near you or wearing or carrying them around with you
- Different types of crystal healing stones each have their own special energies
Where do you put healing crystals?
It very much depends on what you are using them for. Some people choose to keep 1 or more healing crystals on them – e.g. in their pocket or handbag, tucked inside their bra or wear them as a pendant or bracelet or another type of jewellery to enhance their personal energy.
You can also place crystal healing stones around your home to increase vibration and energy.
Certain healing rocks can also be placed in certain spaces to create a particular atmosphere, such as concentration in the office or relaxation in the bedroom.5
Selenite and apophyllite are reportedly ideal for putting in your living room because they can potentially help create more of an uplifting and energised vibe.
Meanwhile, apatite and carnelian are linked to boosting creativity, and because of this, are highly recommended for boosting culinary creations in the kitchen.
When it comes to office spaces, azurite is said to potentially aid concentration, and pyrite is linked to manifesting wealth, abundance and prosperity.
As for the bedroom, amethyst and selenite are believed to deliver cleansing and relaxed energies.
All in all, you can keep your crystals wherever you choose.
Some people prefer to carry them so they are touching their skin, others prefer to just have them near them.
The most important thing is that they are close to you so they can interact with the energy around you.6
- You can use healing crystals either by carrying them around with you, on you or having them around your home/working environment
- Certain healing rocks can also be placed in certain spaces to create a particular atmosphere
- The important thing is that the crystals are close to you so they can interact with the energy around you
What are good crystals for beginners?
If you’ve already started to research crystal healing, then you’ve most probably realised just how many different crystals they are out there and just how many different properties are linked to them!
There is no right or wrong place when it comes to choosing your stones for crystal stone healing, it all depends on what you want them to help you with.7,8
Let’s take a look at some of the most common healing crystals and what they’re used for.
What each crystal is used for
Amethyst is believed to help create peace and tranquillity and calm the mind.
Rose quartz is said to be the stone of love; both self-love and for others.
Clear quartz is linked to helping create a clear mind, and is one of the meditation crystals.
Smoky quartz is said to be good for grounding and providing protection from electromagnetic currents given off by technology, such as your computer.
Tigers eye is believed to provide extra strength during difficult times.
Black obsidian is associated with absorbing negativity and protecting against it.
Citrine is linked to manifestation, prosperity and abundance.
Carnelian is said to help achieve positive life choices and success.
Titanium aura quartz
Titanium aura quartz is associated with grounding and centring.
Celestite is linked to creating peace and happiness.
Aventurine is believed to be able to help with feelings of self-doubt and encourage optimism.
Bloodstone is reportedly a powerful energy provider that can help with motivation.
Black tourmaline is said to help repel negative energy. Naomi Campbell and Posh both reportedly carry this crystal in their handbags to help keep any negative energy at bay.9
Shungite is believed to help quiet the mind and with grounding.
What is the best crystal to wear daily?
You may have also spotted this from the list of healing stones above, but quartz is a widely used crystal that comes in a number of different variations too.
It’s reportedly the most abundant and versatile crystal around.
Some supporters say that it has the unique ability to take your intentions and hold on to them until it has been cleansed or new intentions have been set, making it a highly popular choice.10
- People tend to select their crystals based on what they would like them to help them with
- Different crystals have different properties
- For example, smoky quartz and titanium aura quartz are linked to grounding, and amethyst and celestite are linked to happiness
How do you use and take care of healing crystals?
Generally speaking, there are two elements to using crystals – ‘programming’ them with what you want them to help you with and cleansing them.11
All new crystals should ideally be cleansed when you bring them home to make sure they are clear of negative energy.
How to cleanse your crystals
You can do this by:
- Submerging your crystal in a bowl of salt water or;
- Smudging your crystal with a sage stick or running it through sage smoke or;
- Leaving it outside under the full moon for 24 hours.
Crystals should be cleansed on a regular basis, especially if they're being used all of the time or to help promote positivity, cleansing and removing negative energies.
How to charge your crystals
In order for your crystal to help you with what you would like it to help you with, you have to tell it your intentions or ‘programme’ it.
You can do this by:
- Holding your crystal in your non-dominant hand and imagining a white light around it while you recharge the stone and set your intention
- Placing your crystal under the moonlight or sunlight for 24 hours
- Using tingsha chimes, singing bowls or tuning forks to recharge your crystals (they are believed to be able to absorb sound vibrations)
- Putting your crystal with other crystals, such as amethyst quartz, and selenite. It will absorb the energies of other crystals and regenerate them
- Burying your crystal in the garden for 24 hours or if you don’t have a garden, putting it in a plant pot full of soil
- Crystals need to be programmed and cleansed
- They can be cleansed by submerging them in salt water, purifying them with sage them or leaving them under a full moon for 24 hours
- You can charge/programme them in numerous ways, such as holding them and focusing your intentions on them or placing them with other crystals
Where can you buy healing crystals from?
You can buy crystals from numerous holistic and health and wellbeing stores, including Holland & Barrett.
Healing crystals are widely used by people to help them with numerous aspects within their life.
Some people choose to have just one crystal that they call on every now and then, while others have a collection of healing stones they use on a regular basis.
Certain crystals, such as clear quartz, are used to aid with meditation.
For more on meditation, including what it is, the benefits and how you do it, take a look at this article, ‘Meditation guide: An introduction to meditation for beginners.’
The advice in this article is for information only and should not replace medical care. Please check with your GP or healthcare professional before trying any supplements, treatments or remedies. Food supplements must not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
Last updated: 4 February 2022