A gluten free diet is exactly what it says - one where you do not eat any gluten!
Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye and oats1
- and therefore all the foods that are made with them, including most types of bread, pasta, cakes and biscuits.
A few years ago it would be tricky to find cakes or biscuits that you could eat when following a gluten free diet.
However, that has all changed and there are now lots of alternative gluten free ingredients, foods and recipes available, including plenty of delicious gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipes.
Why follow a gluten free diet?
There are a few reasons why you might choose to follow a gluten free diet.
If you have coeliac disease, then it can be very damaging to eat gluten, as it triggers an immune response, which can damage the lining of your gastro intestinal (GI) tract.2
This can lead to symptoms such as bloating, diarrhoea and constipation, as well as causing permanent damage.3
It is therefore very important that anyone who has celiac disease avoids gluten altogether.
People often use the terms coeliac disease and gluten intolerance interchangeably, however, they are not the same thing.
If you have a non-coeliac gluten intolerance or sensitivity, then eating gluten can cause the same symptoms. However, this does not cause damage to the lining of the gut.4
The level of sensitivity to gluten can vary from person to person, with some people being able to eat some gluten and others having to avoid it entirely.5
Whatever the reason for your gluten free diet, these delicious gluten free cookies are the perfect treat. And they are best enjoyed with a cuppa!
The best gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe
This simple recipe makes 12 – 16 gluten free chocolate chip cookies and takes only around 30 minutes to make, including prep and baking time.
These gluten free choc chip cookies are perfect for a yummy snack for the whole family to enjoy, or to keep all to yourself!
Gluten free chocolate chip cookie ingredients
- 200g gluten free plain white flour
- 150g sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- A pinch of salt
- 50ml oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 75g chocolate chips of your choice (milk, dark or white)
Method for making gluten free chocolate chip cookies
Shop Free From Baking
- First up, it is time to prep! To prepare for baking these easy gluten free chocolate chip cookies, pre heat your oven to 180 degrees centigrade and grease two baking trays, before lining them both with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the gluten free flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum and salt in a bowl.
- Sieve this mixture into a mixing bowl and then add the oil, vanilla extract and egg. Mix well until all the ingredients are combined.
- Now it is time to get your hands dirty! Add the chocolate chips and work them into the dough with your hands. The consistency should be a dry dough by now.
- Spoon six to eight piles of the cookie dough onto each baking tray, leaving some space around each pile for the dough to spread as it cooks.
- If any of the chocolate chips fall out, push them back into the gluten free cookie dough.
- Bake the cookies for 18-20 minutes. The cookies should be light brown around the edges and be slightly soft in the middle.
- Leave to cool while you pop the kettle on and enjoy!
19 January 2021