Are you a little collagen-curious?
Maybe you’re a fully-fledged collagen convert looking for a new way to enjoy it.
Whatever your mission, you can find all you need to know about collagen drinks and discover 9 of the best collagen drinks of 2022 right here.
- What is collagen?
- What does it do?
- What are collagen drinks?
- Liquid collagen benefits
- Collagen drinks: our top 9 picks
- Potential collagen side effects
- The final say
Collagen is the most abundant protein found in our bodies.
It is an essential component of our skin, hair, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
Our bodies already make collagen using amino acids, vitamins, and minerals we get from our diet.
However, as we age, our collagen production can decline, which is why some people turn to collagen supplements…
If this is all new, it might be natural to ask: is collagen good for you?
Collagen helps us retain skin elasticity and hydration. That’s why we get wrinkles and sagging skin when our bodies start producing less.
After age 20, we produce about 1% less collagen in our skin year on year, which thins the skin and contributes to wrinkles.1
As well as contributing to firm and smooth skin, collagen is good for keeping our joints and ligaments flexible and functional and supports normal muscle function.
Drinkable collagen products are a bioavailable (easy to absorb) and convenient way to supplement collagen.
You’ll find many different types of collagen liquid, from bovine, marine, and even vegan-friendly formulas. You’ll even find collagen drinks in different formats, from pre-made collagen shakes to liquid collagen shots that you pop into your drink.
Collagen drinks claim to combat collagen loss by delivering this potent protein, in the form of peptides, straight to the stomach. The idea is that it’ll give you a glow which begins on the inside.
The best bit? Modern science suspects it works! After drinking collagen, the absorbed collagen peptides make their way into the skin, where they remain for around 14 days.2
It’s believed there are many benefits to taking collagen orally, including:
- Reduced wrinkles: Women who ingested collagen for 12 weeks had less visible wrinkle depth than a comparable group of women who had not.3
- Skin suppleness: A study found that a group of women enjoyed improved skin moisture quality and youthfulness after 8 weeks of collagen use, in comparison with a group who didn’t.4
- Improved collagen production: One scientific study proposed links between ingesting collagen and increased collagen production within the body.5
- Better nail growth: Researchers found that a group who took collagen supplements every day developed stronger, longer nails which were more resistant to damage.6
- Increases other proteins which benefit the skin: Collagen is good for increasing other skin-friendly proteins in your body. Ingesting collagen has been connected to increased elastin and fibrillin production, too.5 Elastin and fibrillin are also essential for skin firmness and contribute to the youthful look of healthy skin.
Without further ado! Here are our top 8 collagen drinks here at Holland and Barrett based on customer reviews, including:
- The best science-backed liquid collagen drink
- The best liquid collagen for skin drink
- The best high-strength liquid collagen drink
- The best collagen drink for skin, hair and nails
- The best liquid collagen for hair drink
- The best liquid bovine collagen (no fish)
- The best collagen drink for joint care
- The best vegan collagen drink
- The best collagen milkshake drink
The best science-backed liquid collagen drink
Your collagen drink just got an expert upgrade!
These H&B Expert Liquid Collagen daily sachets contain a high-strength formula that combine clinically studied marine collagen, vitamin C, and zinc, with a tasty orange flavour.
What really makes this formula special is the VERISOL F collagen – a clinically studied collagen that can help reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve skin elasticity.
- Convenient daily dose liquid sachets with a tasty orange flavour
- Contains clinically studied VERISOL F collagen that can help improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles
- Formulated with vitamin C, which contributes to normal collagen production, and zinc which contributes to normal skin health
The best liquid collagen for skin drink
Formulated to support skin suppleness and radiance, this Collagen Skin drink is a great addition to any daily beauty routine.
Each collagen drink contains 7000mg of marine collagen (type II) with biotin, selenium, zinc, hyaluronic acid, l-lysine, coQ10 and more skin-supporting ingredients. The full package!
- Contains 7000mg of hydrolysed marine collagen – a rich source of intact amino acids which help form new collagen in the body
- Also includes biotin, selenium, zinc, hyaluronic acid, l-lysine, coQ10, and more skin-supporting ingredients
- Passion fruit flavoured
- Never tested on animals
What our customers think
Generi – Great product for your skin – 5/5 stars
“I started using Collagen a week ago and already see good results. Redness and dry skin around eyes have disappeared, skin looks better and feels more moist. Perfect product to feel fresher after cold winter. Thank you!”
Olese – Fast action effect – 5/5 stars
“Bought a few months supply and very happy with it, fine line wrinkles are diminishing and skin looks fresh and glowing!”
Miriam – Amazing Product! – 5/5 stars
“After using Perfectil Collagen Skin with an initial ten-day supply, I noticed a considerable improvement in skin vitality, also hair condition and healthy growth. I continue to take this product daily and also bought as present for friend. I highly recommend!”
The best high-strength liquid collagen drink
Revive is one of the leading skincare brands, especially when it comes to collagen.
Their motto? Younger skin starts from within.
These collagen drink sachets contain type I hydrolysed marine collagen, which is the most plentiful collagen in our bodies.7
It’s collected from ethically farmed fish skin, which is broken down into small chains of collagen.
You also get the added benefits of hyaluronic acid and aloe vera juice for even more skin benefits.
And, if you’re not ready to commit to the full 28, you can also find this drink in a 14-sachet pack.
You can even mix a sachet into your favourite hot drink, like a collagen hot chocolate or collagen coffee.
- Each serving is packed with 8,500mg of hydrolysed marine collagen with added hyaluronic acid and aloe vera juice
- Great-tasting citrus flavour and free from added artificial flavours, colours, sugar, dairy, soy, lactose, nuts, and GMO ingredients
- These easy sachets can be taken on the go any time of the day, and you can even add them to hot or cold drinks
The best collagen drink for skin, hair and nails
Quick, convenient, and oh-so-tasty, these passion-fruit flavour shots are an effective way to help support your hair, skin, and nails.
As well as 5000mg of marine collagen, you also get a daily dose of vitamin C, vitamin E, biotin, selenium, and hyaluronic acid to further support your goals.
- Convenient passion fruit-flavour 25ml daily shots with 5000mg marine collagen per serving
- Compact high-strength collagen formulation with added hyaluronic acid and vitamins
- Scientifically formulated to support and maintain healthy skin, hair, and nails
What our customers think
Dani B – Shiny skin – 5/5 stars
“Great product, everyone noticed how shiny my skin was after just a couple of weeks. Taste a bit sharp but you soon get used to the taste.”
The best liquid collagen for hair drink
Specially designed to help nourish and protect your hair, this Collagen Hair drink is a great addition to any daily beauty routine.
Each contains an impressive 7000mg of marine collagen (type II) with biotin, selenium, zinc, keratin, inositol, blackcurrant seed oil, and more hair-supporting ingredients.
The total package!
- Contains 7000mg of hydrolysed marine collagen – a rich source of intact amino acids which help to support the structure of the hair
- Also includes biotin, selenium, zinc, keratin, inositol, blackcurrant seed oil, and more hair-supporting ingredients
- Passion fruit- flavoured and never tested on animals
What our customers think
HJM75 – Immediate effects for me! – 5/5 stars
“I took this after noticing my hair was getting a bit lifeless and thinner towards the end of following the Cambridge Diet. It immediately put some oomph back into my hair. I have subsequently bought 2 more boxes and aim to take a box a month. Definitely worth a try.”
Katievb – Excellent – 5/5 stars
“I love these, I’ve had two lots of these. I know they are a bit pricey, but I really do believe they work. Would definitely order again.”
The best liquid bovine collagen (no fish)
Awaken your inner beauty!
NeoCell is one of the world’s favourite collagen brands – so you’re in very safe hands.
It contains type I & III bovine collagen, ethically sourced from grass-fed cows for high bioavailability and safety.
You also get to enjoy the delicious taste of pomegranate, as well as the benefits of cranberry, elderberry, green tea, and vitamin C.
- Convenient collagen drink formulated with bioavailable type I & III collagen peptides
- Added pomegranate, green tea, cranberry and elderberry, as well as essential vitamin C
- Ethically sourced from grass-fed cows to be pure, effective, and safe
What our customers think
Sam22 – Can really notice a difference – 5/5 stars
“My skin feels so healthy and rejuvenated after using this liquid. Easily absorbed my face feels smoother and complexion clearer.
My nails are stronger and I love it. It can be a bit expensive (can always look out for an offer!) but if you want good ingredients with no nasties, and quality that actually works then this pomegranate collagen is a worthy investment.”
The best collagen shots for joint care
Our joints keep us moving and doing the things we love most in life, so it’s important to look after them.
One way you can do this is by supporting them with high-quality collagen – and these shots by LQ collagen fit the brief perfectly.
Each 25ml bottle contains 1500mg of hydrolysed marine collagen plus glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, ginger, vitamin C, and copper – scientifically formulated to support your joints and bones.
- 1500mg Hydrolysed Marine Collagen in each 25ml cherry-flavoured shot
- Also contains glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, ginger, copper, and vitamin C
- Scientifically formulated to support your joints and bones from the inside out
What our customers think
Jimmy9 – Works for me! – 5/5 stars
“First time trying this product, easy and convenient to take and starting to see some results!”
The best vegan collagen drink
Finally! A vegan-friendly drink to support your body’s collagen production.
This expertly- formulated collagen drink from NeoCell contains nutrients your body needs to maintain healthy collagen production each day.
It contains 50 mg of bioavailable hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, green tea extract, and blueberry, pomegranate, and cranberry juice concentrates.
These ingredients work together to help support collagen formation for healthy joints and skin.
- Delicious blueberry flavour vegan collagen-supporting drink
- Provides 50 mg of bioavailable hyaluronic acid, vitamin C, green tea extract, and blueberry, pomegranate, and cranberry juice concentrates
- Formulated blend for cellular protection and skin and joint support
What our customers think
Nicola31 – Perfect and easy – 5/5 stars
“Great taste, easy to take and benefits are already showing so I will continue using this.”
Blendedopinions – Great flavour – 5/5 stars
“Really nice flavour and easy to use, looking forward to the results.”
You can find vegan collagen in other formats too; check out 7 of the best vegan collagen supplements and skincare.
The best collagen milkshake drink
Big fan of strawberry milkshakes? Lucky you – you’ll love this collagen protein milk by UFIT!
Each tasty drink contains 5000mg of collagen, 12g protein, and vitamins C & B, with just 112 calories.
It’s the perfect tasty solution to help support your nails, skin, and hair with bioavailable collagen, plus added protein to support your muscles.
- Not your ordinary milkshake: this ready-made drink contains 5000mg of collagen, 12g protein, & vitamins C and B
- Enjoy the delicious strawberry flavour and collagen support anytime and anywhere
- Contributes to normal collagen formation that supports normal skin and cartilage function
Manifika – Really tasty!! – 5/5 stars
“I've purchased this many times, I will always do (as long as it's on sale :) it's really tasty and contains collagen protein which is great for skin, hair, nails and after a workout!! Yum!”
Sammyfitness – Love these, I always stock up – 5/5 stars
“I buy these weekly and religiously have one per day. I love them as a low-calorie, high-protein snack and they have the added benefit of helping my skin and complexion.”
So far, research hasn’t revealed very many side effects of collagen supplements. Since they’re a protein our body already makes, they’re considered to be a low risk for us.
Sometimes collagen drinks include animal products, like eggs and shellfish. Make sure to study the label before purchasing if you’re vegan or allergic to certain animal products as each collagen drink can be different.
Some takers have reported a sour taste in the mouth after taking collagen supplements, but the cause is unclear.8 A sour taste in the mouth is a known symptom of acid reflux, and collagen supplements have caused digestive discomfort among some takers (including heartburn), which may explain why.9,
Some other minor reported side effects have included headaches, rashes, and bloating, but these are not considered to be dangerous and should go away on their own.
If you have any concerns about your symptoms, or they continue, talk to your GP.
We hope this guide has helped you find the best collagen drink for you and your needs!
If you want some more information about other ways you can take collagen, make sure you check out the full collection here at H&B – 22 of the best collagen supplements.
You also asked:
Yes! Collagen drinks are very easy for the body to absorb and put to work as they enter the bloodstream faster than a lot of other collagen supplements.
A lot of people prefer collagen drinks and liquids as they taste good and are very convenient – especially for you busy bees out there.
You can simply knock back a shot before you shoot out the door or pop a sachet in your bag to enjoy on the go – it couldn’t be easier!
Collagen supplements don’t tend to cause many side effects, as they are usually made from foods we commonly eat like fish and meat.
However, if you have any food allergies like shellfish, egg, dairy or fish, you should choose your supplement carefully and use with caution – always check the labels for allergy information.
Last updated: 15 September 2022