Plus don't miss our competition!
Over half the nation are not confident in identifying skincare products that contain animal-derived ingredients.
Holland & Barrett is on hand to demystify plant-based beauty with help from skincare expert Jennifer Hirsch, The Beauty Botanist.
“Traditionally, hyaluronic acid was animal-derived, from sources like cockerels’ combs. The vegan alternatives come from microbial fermentation of vegetable material and work the same to help promote healthier, more hydrated skin.”
Try: Q+A Hyaluronic Acid Gel Cleanser 125ml RRP £7.50, Holland & Barrett
“The Hyaluronic Acid used in this Q&A cleanser is just as effective as animal-derived sources, with gentle and smoothing cleansing agents that boost your skin’s moisturisation.”
“Originally extracted from shark livers, a process which the sharks didn’t survive, squalane is commonly found in beauty. Today the ingredient can be extracted from sources as diverse as sugarcane, rice bran oil, olive oil and amaranth oil. It’s every bit as effective as a hydrator, helps to reduce hydration loss, and is non-comedogenic.”
Try: Oleus Squalane 50ml RRP £19.99, Holland & Barrett
“Now thanks to clever bioengineering, the Squalene used in products such as this one from Oleus can come from rice, olive oil or sugarcane, as opposed to the traditional source of Shark Liver.”
“Our bodies produce lactic acid, but commercially it can be created by fermenting dairy products or meat. Identical chemistry suitable for vegans is produced by fermenting carbohydrates like sucrose or glucose found in beets, corn and cane sugar. It’s used in skincare formulations as an exfoliant, for its cleansing properties, and to regulate the acidity of products, and is every bit as effective.”
Try: REN Ready Steady Glow Tonic, RRP: £27.00, Holland & Barrett
“REN use plant-based ingredients throughout their ranges, such as plant-derived Lactic Acid in their Ready-Steady Glow Tonic.”
“Collagen is a protein made by our bodies and functions as a structural scaffold for skin and tissues, but production slows down as we age. Unfortunately, collagen is always animal-derived, so there is no vegan identical solution. Instead, there are plenty of collagen-stimulating ingredients such as amla oil and stabilised vitamin C that can promote and help stimulate your body’s own collagen production.”
Try: Vitaskin Vitamin C Collagen Boosting Night Cream RRP: £15.00, Holland & Barrett
“Retinol is only found in foods derived from animals, like fish liver oil. Bakuchiol is a vegan retinol alternative and the latest skin superstar. The chemistry of bakuchiol is completely different to retinol, but its effects are very similar, helping to soften the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, improve skin plumpness and even skin tone. Even better, its not rendered inactive by sun (unlike retinol) and has antioxidant activities.”
Try: Trilogy Bakuchiol+ Booster Treatment RRP £29.50, Holland & Barrett
“With 4% bakuchiol (a potent natural retinol alternative without the side-effects), this silky super-oil complex also contains hydrating plant squalane, omega rich hemp and rosehip oils, and softening meadowfoam oil to promote a more youthful complexion.”
Here we talk to The Beauty Botanist about why you should be thinking about plant-based ingredients and products as part of your beauty regime.
You could be in with a chance of winning a bundle of top vegan skincare picks. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is enter your details below.
T&Cs Apply - scroll down to view these. Prize draw closes 11th May 2021 with winner to be announced on Friday 21st May.
Whether you’ve been following an environmentally conscious lifestyle long-term, or are simply wanting to explore more eco-friendly, plant-based options, switching to a vegan skincare regime is a great way to reduce the amount of animal-derived ingredients in your life.
 Holland & Barrett YouGov Survey, March 2021, 2,000 UK adults.
Terms and conditions
1. The Prize: 5 vegan beauty products for one person from Holland & Barrett.
2. Entry and participation is free – no purchase is necessary. To enter you must input your first name, surname and email address into the data form above. By entering this Prize Draw, you agree to be bound by these Terms & Conditions. Maximum of one entry per person. The closing date for all entries is 23:59 GMT on 11th May 2021. Entries received after this time will not be entered into the Prize Draw.
3. Holland & Barrett will select a winner at random from all valid entries within one week of the closing date. The winner will then be contacted by e-mail. If Holland & Barrett receives no response from the winner within 3 days, then this may result in forfeiture of the Prize and we reserve the right to select an alternative winner at random from among the valid entries . This process will continue until the Prize is claimed.
4. Cash or credit alternatives will not be offered. The Prize is non-transferable or exchangeable. In the event that the Prize becomes unavailable, Holland & Barrett reserves the right to substitute an alternative Prize of equal or greater value. In the event of fraud, abuse, and/or an error affecting the proper operation of the Prize Draw, including the allocation of more Prizes than are available we reserve the right to end or suspend the promotion or to amend these Terms & Conditions.
6. Holland & Barrett will not be liable for any failure of receipt of entries, and takes no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, illegible, corrupted, damaged, incomplete or otherwise invalid (which will be disqualified). We reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to disqualify any individual found to be tampering with the operation of the Prize Draw, or to be acting in any manner we deem to be disruptive or in violation of these Terms & Conditions. The decision of Holland & Barrett will be final and unchallengeable, and in our absolute discretion we may declare void any entry or the Prize Draw itself.
7. Holland & Barrett’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. We reserve the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the Prize Draw for any reason at our sole discretion.
8. This Prize Draw is open to all UK residents aged 18 or over. Employees of Holland & Barrett, mostra limited, Bloomsbury Publishing or any of their subsidiary companies, their families, agents or anyone else connected with this Prize Draw must not enter.
9. This promotion is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts. If any provision of these Terms & Conditions is held invalid by any law, rule, order or regulation of any government, or by the final determination of any court of a competent jurisdiction, such invalidity shall not affect the enforceability of any other provisions not held to be invalid.
10. The promoter of the Prize Draw is Holland & Barrett International, Samuel Ryder House, 7 Barling Way, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 7RH and Bloomsbury Publishing, 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP. For any queries relating to this Prize Draw, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org