Calcium and vitamin C are your perfect partners for a bone-friendly diet. Calcium is a mineral which helps your bones stay strong.1 Vitamin C has been proven to help prevent bone loss in older adults,2 as well as having a beneficial effect on bone mineral density.3
Vitamin C helps your body absorb calcium, so it is important to incorporate them into your diet together, like in this delicious chilli recipe.
Sweet and smoky mixed bean and soya mince chilli
Nutrients per serving:
Calcium per serving: 204mg – 24% NRV
Vitamin C per serving: 68.8mg – 80% NRV
For the chilli:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot peeled and finely diced
- 2 red peppers roughly chopped
- 2 chilli peppers (to your taste- for a spicy chilli try bird’s eye) sliced and deseeded
- 1 celery stick finely diced
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cinnamon *
- 1 tsp smoked paprika *
- 2 cans mixed beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1 tbsb tomato puree
- 150g vegetarian mince
- 35g dried red lentils *
- 150ml vegetable stock *
- 2 squares dark chocolate *
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 300g rice * or quinoa * (or try a combination of both for something new)
- 100g buffalo mozzarella
- 4 tbsp fresh soured cream
- Juice of one lime
*Available at Holland & Barrett
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat
Sauté the onion celery, carrots and peppers for a few minutes until the onions become translucent
Add the chilli peppers and sauté for one further minute
Add the cinnamon, chilli powder and smoked paprika and stir until they form more of a paste than a powder, then add the tomato puree and salt and pepper
Add the vegetarian mince and fry for around five minutes
Add the chopped tomatoes, lentils, mixed beans and vegetable stock and mix thoroughly
Simmer for around 20 minutes, checking to ensure the liquid is at a suitable level, if the mixture looks dry, add a little more water
Grate the dark chocolate into the chilli and leave to simmer for a further five minutes
Serve with either rice or quinoa cooked to instructions on the packet and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Advice is for information only and should not replace medical care. Please check with your GP before trying any remedies.
Shop our range of Vitamins & Supplements
- [Online] https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-bones/Pages/food-and-diet-for-strong-bones.aspx.
- [Online] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19020919.
- [Online] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11149477.