We have gathered together three of the most delicious, gluten free birthday cake recipes, for you to indulge in.
Gluten free chocolate cake
Who doesn’t love a chocolate cake? Especially a gluten free chocolate birthday cake! This recipe will make a pretty impressive three-tiered chocolate cake, to wow at any birthday party.
For the cake:
- 75g cocoa powder
- 250g gluten free plain white flour
- 325g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200ml milk
- 200ml oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 125ml boiling water
For the filling and icing:
- 250g cooking chocolate
- 250ml double cream
- 100g caster sugar
- Grease and line three 20cm cake tins.
- Combine the cocoa powder and flour before adding the caster sugar and then combining all three ingredients.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract and then pour this mixture into the dry mixture.
- Add the boiling water and beat well.
- Divide the cake mixture evenly between the three tins.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Once they are ready, get the cakes out of the oven and leave to cool for a couple of minutes before turning them out onto a wire rack.
- Now it is time to start on the filling! Break the chocolate into squares.
- Put the cream and sugar into a pan and stir over a medium heat until it is about to boil.
- Remove the pan from the hob and add the chocolate. Stir until the mixture is combined.
- Allow to cool, stirring regularly for around 10 minutes, until the mixture has the consistency of a thick paste.
- Once the sponges are cold, spread the mixture evenly over each sponge and then stack the sponges one on top of the other. Leave to set and you have got an impressive birthday cake!1
Gluten free lemon birthday cake
If you like your cake with a bit of a citrus edge, then this zesty lemon drizzle cake is for you.
- 2 large lemons
- 300g white sugar
- 200g butter
- 3 large eggs
- 200g gluten free flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin and line with baking paper before finely zesting the lemons.
- Beat together 200g of the sugar, the butter, eggs, flour, almonds and baking powder until pale, thick and creamy.
- Spoon the gluten free cake mix into the loaf tin and level it.
- Bake in the oven at 190 degrees for 55-60, ensuring it is well-risen, firm and golden brown in colour.
- Take the cake out of the oven and leave to cool for five minutes.
- Squeeze one of the lemons and mix the juice with the remaining sugar. Spoon this over the cake.
- Leave to set for an hour before serving.2
Gluten free carrot cake
This gluten free carrot cake recipe is perfect for an afternoon tea birthday party.
For the cake:
- 225g gluten free flour
- 2 large eggs
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 1 ½ tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 apple
- 200g carrots
- 1 orange
- Handful of sultanas
- 50g walnuts
For the icing:
- 75g unsalted butter
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 orange
- 75g cream cheese
- 50g walnuts
- Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Beat the eggs before adding the sugar and oil and mixing together.
- Sieve and fold in the flour and spices.
- Grate the apple and carrots and juice and zest the orange. Add these to the mixture with the sultanas.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and add these to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30-35 minutes at 190 degrees.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for five minutes and then turn it out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Now it is time for the icing! Beat together the butter, icing sugar and most of the orange zest and then stir in the cream cheese until just combined.
- Once the cake is cool you can spread the icing onto the top of it. Crush some walnuts and sprinkle them on the top for decoration, along with a grating of orange zest. And enjoy!3
Last Updated: 27th January 2021