If you are giving the keto diet a go, you might be struggling to find new, low-carb bunch ideas, that are both easy and taste good.
Luckily for you, we have got some tasty keto brunch recipes for you to try; all of which are delicious, healthy and nutritious. What’s not to love?
What do you mean by keto?The ketogenic diet – also known as the Keto diet – is a popular high-fat, low-carb plan that aims to put our bodies into a state of ketosis.1
Ketosis is when your body uses fat instead of carbohydrates to fuel itself, breaking down stored fat into ketone bodies, in order to generate energy.As a result, low-carb keto diets can help you to lose weight.2 It can also help to improve blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes patients in the short term.3
What can I have for brunch on a keto diet?A keto diet is rich in fats and proteins.4
A typical keto plan contains:
- Fatty fish
- Healthy oils
- Low-carb vegetables
When following a keto diet, follow these nutritional guidelines for each meal:
- Fat: 70-80%
- Protein: 10-20%
- Carbohydrates: 5-10%
3 of the best keto brunch ideas
Enjoy a delicious and healthy brunch with some of our favourite low-carb brunch recipes:
1. Coconut flour pancakes
Coconut flour pancakes make a tasty and nutritious keto breakfast – perfect for setting you up for the day ahead.Coconut flour is low in carbs and high in fibre. It is also naturally high in healthy fats.4
To make your pancakes, follow these steps:
Prep: 5 mins | Cook: 10 mins | Makes: 8 large pancakes | Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients for coconut flour pancakes:
- 40g coconut flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 84 ml unsweetened almond milk
Equipment you will need:
- Non-stick frying pan
Method for making coconut flour pancakes:
- Beat the eggs until they turn frothy. Incorporate all the remaining ingredients, to create a smooth batter and let the mixture sit for a few minutes.
- Using a low heat, melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of batter for each pancake and spread it out to 4 inches in diameter.
- Fry the pancake for 3 minutes until bubbles form. Flip it over and do the same on the other side.
- Repeat until all the batter is used.
And voila. You can either eat your pancakes plain or top them with healthy fruits and Greek yoghurt.
Or, if you are looking to increase your protein intake, serve them with bacon and a low-sugar syrup.
2. Low-carb porridge
Porridge is filling, warming and perfect for any time of the day.While healthy, classic oat porridge is high in carbs, 5 switching to almond flour and milk increases your protein intake while reducing the amount of carbs you eat.
Here’s how you do it:
Prep: 2 mins | Cook: 3 mins | Makes: 1 large bowl | Difficulty: Easy
Ingredients for low-carb porridge
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp ground sesame seeds
- 120 ml unsweetened almond milk
- Handful of berries
- Mix the almond flour, ground sesame seeds and flaxseed in a standard-sized breakfast bowl.
- Add the almond milk. Mix and place the bowl into a microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for another minute.
- If you do not have a microwave, mix the ingredients on the stove. It is ready when the mixture becomes nice and thick.
- Take the porridge out of the microwave or off the stove and leave it to thicken for 1 minute.
- Top with a handful of your favourite berries.
3. Keto quiche
This delicious crustless quiche is the perfect brunch snack.
It is simple to make and contains only 3g of carbs and 17g of protein.
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins | Makes: 6 slices | Difficulty: Medium
Ingredients for Keto quiche
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic glove, finely minced
- 8 slices bacon
- 6 large eggs
Equipment you will need:
- Non-stick pan
- 9-inch dish
Method for making Keto quiche:
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees centigrade (180C if you have a fan oven).
- Over a medium heat in a non-stick pan, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook them until they start to caramelise. This should take around 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Transfer the onions and garlic to a bowl.
- Add your bacon into the pan. Fry for around 10-12 minutes, until the bacon becomes crispy. Once cooked, soak up the excess grease with kitchen paper.
- Crack the eggs into the bowl containing your onion and garlic. Add the heavy whipping cream and whisk.
- Add the bacon and the cheese, mixing them thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into your dish and bake for 30 minutes. When done, the mixture should feel soft and not too firm.
- Leave to serve for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.
The best thing about this low-carb quiche is that you can freeze it to enjoy later on.Shop Keto
Last Updated: 4th February 2021
Author: Bhupesh Panchal, Regulatory Affairs
Bhupesh started his career as a clinical toxicologist for Public Health England, advising healthcare professionals all around the country on how to manage clinical cases of adverse exposure to supplements, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, industrial chemicals and agricultural products. After 7 years in this role and a further year working as a drug safety officer in the pharmaceutical industry, Bhupesh joined Holland & Barrett as a Senior Regulatory Affairs Associate in 2019.Bhupesh specialises in vitamins & minerals nutrition, health benefits & safety of botanicals and traditional herbal medicines. View Bhupesh's LinkedIn profile. In his spare time, Bhupesh likes to cycle and has been learning to speak Korean for several years.