Perhaps you’ve done it yourself, or know someone who has… It’s not uncommon to bring fresh beetroot home from the shop, only to realise that you have no idea how to cook it.
Luckily, we’re here to help. Beetroot is something we should all be eating more of. Rich in fibre, folate, vitamins and minerals, beetroot is as good for you as it is colourful.
In this article, we’ll explain all the best ways to prepare this tasty root vegetable. Whether you’d prefer a delicious beetroot side dish, a tangy pickle, or a refreshing, zingy salad, we have the beetroot dish for you.
How to prepare beetroot
We’re going to explain three simple way to prepare beetroot so you can enjoy this nutritious root vegetable at home.
- 550g fresh beetroot
- 270ml malt vinegar
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
How to pickle beetroot:
- Wash the beetroot and cut its stems. Reserve stems for soups or stews (beetroot greens are among the world’s most nutrient-dense veggies).1
- Put the beetroot in a large saucepan with water and salt. Bring to a boil then simmer for an hour with the lid on, until the beetroot is tender.
- In a separate saucepan, bring malt vinegar to a boil.
- Add sugar to malt vinegar and keep warm until the beetroot is cooked.
- Once the beetroot is ready, remove skin and cut into rounds of 1-2cm width.
- Place beetroot in a sterilised jar and fill with warm vinegar mix, then seal.
Once everything has cooled, you can enjoy your pickled beetroot. Pickled beetroot will keep for up to one year unopened.
Store in the fridge after opening and eat within 3 months.
- 6 beetroots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp each of herbs of your choosing; thyme and rosemary, or cumin and carraway seeds are both delicious with beetroots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
How to roast beetroot:
- Heat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
- Place whole beetroot (stalks removed and reserved for soups or stews) in a roasting tray with a clove of whole garlic, herbs of your choice, and olive oil. Roast for 90 minutes, turning beetroots once around the midway mark.
- Remove, peel and slice the beetroots.
Roast beetroot is a great side dish for a Sunday roast or red meat.
- 4 beetroots
- 70g feta
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
How to prepare beetroot salad:
- Trim the stems (reserving for other dishes) and place beetroot in cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until beetroot can be pierced with a knife but is still al dente (firm when bitten).
- While the beetroot is cooking, prepare the vinaigrette. Whisk lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic clove and olive oil in a small jug. Set aside.
- Peel the skin from the beetroot and slice into wedges. Crumble feta on top and sprinkle over the parsley.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad just before tucking in.
Last updated: 31 March 2021